I looked that up: Auld Lang Syne means “days gone bye” or “long, long ago.” I really don’t think one year is “long, long ago” but in reviewing the past 365 days, it could be “long, long ago” … But, it seems that the older I get, the faster time flies.
I always dread New Year’s Eve. Not because it brings back bad memories of ”days gone bye,” but because it means I have to face the fact that I have once again kept absolutely none of my New Year’s resolutions from the year before. I am still overweight, don’t exercise enough, have read far fewer books than I’d planned and did not take up belly-dancing…The last resolution because of the first two resolutions I didn’t keep.
So this year I’ve decided on a new (year’s) plan of action.
I will only make up resolutions that I know I will absolutely keep…and here they are:
- I will watch Craig Ferguson’s Late Late Show at least three times a week.
- I will spoil my grandchildren whenever possible.
- I will eat pizza at least twice a month.
- I will cry at silly sentimental movies, including, but not limited to, Must Love Dogs, Chocolat, You’ve Got Mail, Something’s Gotta Give and It’s A Wonderful Life.
- I will again grin like an idiot should I run into Bruce Springsteen or any other celebrity.
- I will profoundly profess my fear of dead creatures in and around my property.
- I will sneak a piece of chocolate at least once a day (but since I’m the only one who lives here, I don’t know why I have to sneak it.)
- I will juggle at least ten games of Scrabble online at all times.
- I will go back to NJ to visit my family and friends at least four times.
- I will decorate my house for every holiday except Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day. I don’t really have any Valentine’s Day decorations and I’m not Irish.
- I will forget to call my parents every week.
- I will fool around on Facebook several times a day.
- I will thank the MOTNSO for all the nice things he does for me. (Sometimes I forget so that’s a little on the edge.)
- I will play mindless games on the computer for hours before I get into bed…to watch Craig Ferguson.
- I will vow to lose weight and then go out to breakfast, lunch and dinner all in the same day. And have an ice cream cone somewhere, too. And maybe a snack.
And things I will not do:
- I will not clean off my desk.
- I will not clean out my closet.
- I will not recycle my cooking magazines.
- I will not walk at least six times a week.
- I will not drink more than three cups of coffee a day.
- I will not take up belly-dancing.
- I will not make up any more resolutions because I can never keep them anyway.
Happy 2011…may it be a year filled with peace, joy, happiness, prosperity and good health…and a year that you manage to achieve the goals you set for yourself, unlike some people I know.
Click on the link below and enjoy a video of “Auld Lang Syne”…